Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's a Great Day for Hockey

Pens vs. Flyers 10-14-08

So, last night was my first of at least nine Pens game this season. I hadn't been to a game since April- 6.5 months too long. I forgot how much I love being there. The smell of the ice and the sound of the puck hitting sticks and glass, there's nothing like it. *Sigh*

The arena had a street fair to celebrate the first week of the season. There was a guy on stilts juggling. No lie, I even have proof...




They also had red carpets at the gates for when fans walked in.

Once in the doors, I headed straight to the Pens Station store, where I found a new license plate frame and a really cute Jordan Staal shirt that was on sale. I am probably the only person who went to the Mellon Arena looking for bargains on clothes.

The Pens were very loose during warm-ups. Marc kept doing floppy, diving saves and then laughing, which totally was upsetting the lady behind me because she kept yelling at him that it was only warm-ups. Then, there were a bunch of teenagers sitting at the glass taking pictures of Max Talbot, so he skated up and jumped into the glass, which caused them to cheer and him to laugh.

At the end of every warm-up, Sid stands on the goal line and practices making sharp angle shots. One of his last shots sailed way over the net and hit the glass right in front of my eyes… LITERALLY, right in front of my eyes. For a brief second all I could think was “oh my god, I’m going to get hit with a puck!” and then I heard it hit the glass. Whew… All I have to say is THANK GOD for Plexiglas, and thank God I am not a goalie.

The Pens were on the bad side of so-so in the 1st, but were an entirely different team in the 2nd. I think Sid's first shift in the 2nd period was some of the best hockey I've seen him play. I don't know who said what during intermission, but it worked. The game ended up going into over time and Duppers scored the winning goal! GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Now, the moment you've all been waiting for, pictures of Sid and the gang…
















(P.S. Satan is pronounced SHAH-tahn)

No comments: